Friday, July 22, 2016

The Words (2014)


Plot: Clayton Hammond is a writer who attends a public reading of his new book, The Words. The story is about a writer named Rory who is trying to get his first novel published but is constantly rejected. During his honeymoon, his wife Dora buys him an old briefcase from an antiques store where Rory finds an old but masterfully written manuscript in the briefcase. He becomes so amazed with the story that decided to type it all onto his laptop which leads to Dora believing that the story is his own original writing and convinces him to publish it. Things turn out well until Rory meets an old man who reveals himself to be the true author of the manuscript.  

My family and I found this film a long while back and decided to take a look at it, and we were surprised to find out that it has a 23% on Rotten Tomatoes. Neither of us thought this movie was one of the greatest things we have ever seen in our entire life, but 23% that seems like a bit of a stretch because for the most part we had a nice time with it.

What we enjoyed the most about this movie was how it made the concept of writing stories so interesting. The stories that the character tell, or heck even watching them just type their stories page after page just made the idea so exciting to the point that in a way we all wanted to go out and write something after we finish the movie. Heck, I'll go so far as to admit that I actually decided to try to write a story after we finished talking about the film. While we were watching it, there was an idea of a story that was kind of popping in my head for a My Little Pony: Equestria Girls fanfiction story that in the end I decided "screw it" and got started and outlining in writing a story. The story is now long dead and left for scraps for me to polish up and put whatever I have written into a Microsoft Word document along with explaining how the rest of the story was going to go and send to my mom, my future sister-in-law and my brother who were the only people who have read any of it. But if a movie about writing influenced me to do that much with telling my own story, then to some reasonable degree it must have done something right.

The acting does all soap well done. I couldn't help it phrase my eyebrow went right smells said that many critics you this film as a major waste of great talents. Looking back at the film and I didn't see any of that... except maybe arguably Jeremy Irons as the Old Man. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed his performance as much as I enjoyed Bradley Cooper or any other actors in the cast. But the more I thought about it, the more I decided to ask what exactly was his goal or his purpose in the story? In a sense we do know what he's going through and we care about him and we sort of know what he wants but not entirely not enough to feel like we are satisfied or dissatisfied precisely with what is happening with his part of the story.

If I had one more problem with the film, that would be how the ending. not in the sense. It had an interesting idea in how it was suppose to tie in between Clayton and Rory, but the delivery was off to the point that it left me and my family a little confused.

And that's my review for The Words. There are some aspects about it that are confusing, but it still has an intriguing story with and entertaining cast that makes the concept of writing stories so exciting. It's not a terrific film, but if you're looking for a movie that gives you a decent experience, this isn't a bad film to do it.

Rating: 70%

No comments:

Post a Comment