Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Star Trek (2009)

Rating: 80%
Hi everyone. Sorry that it's been a while since my last review, but I've been busy with school and a bunch of other stuff. But I'm back with some new reviews for you guys so let's begin with one I've been neglecting to do before Into Darkness hits the theaters and that's of coarse the reboot. So here at last is my review for Star Trek.

Plot: Shortly before the birth of James Kirk, a giant ship of Romulans appear out of a giant "lightning storm" in space attacking the U.S.S. Kelvin resulting in his father sacrificing himself and the ship to save him and his mother along with the rest of the crew. Years later, Kirk is in Starfleet Academy with McCoy when the same ship begin to attack Vulcan. So it's up to them and Spock aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise for the first time, to find out what the Romulans want and stop them.

Okay so the thing about this movie is that it's the first Star Trek ANYTHING that I ever saw. So it's basically because of this film that I eventually went through the original series and Next Generation and all the other films. When I first saw this movie I thought it was awesome and a really good way to introduce me to the entire franchise. Watching it again it's still good but it has its issues. Some people dislike how this film makes it look like everything that's ever happened in Star Trek at this point never happened, and I kind of feel like that has actually happened considering how I've gotten into the series over the past couple of years, particularly with Next Generation. Another issue people will have is how they have changed some certain aspects with the characters. Because while some changes are interesting ways to go at a different direction with the characters, some of the things that happen could a big issue for some of the fans. I mean my dad - while not really a big fan of Star Trek - thought that what they did different between Spock and Uhura was not okay. And while I was fine with it when I first saw this film, I will admit that watching it again after getting so far into the franchise, it is a little weird. Finally you have the most well known issue with this film that has since become to be known as the main problem with J. J. Abrams as a director: lens flares. This was something I also didn't really notice the first time I saw this film, but after a couple of years...yeah. I mean it's not like the did it in ALL of the shots but he did use a lot of flares - two or three ish shots were so bad that I could barely really see a thing. So while some people aren't optimistic, I hope that Abrams does less of that for Into Darkness. But let's talk about what's good. Firstly, there's the characters. For the most part, the cast brought back these characters fairly well. Chris Pine was pretty much Kirk, Simon Pegg was a very energetic and amusing Scotty, Zoe Saldana I liked as Uhura because her version I thought made us interested in her more as a person then I thought they ever really did in the original quite frankly, and Zachary Quinto... was just okay as Spock. But the performance I liked the best from watching this again was Karl Uban as Dr. "Bones" McCoy. The moment he appeared in this film I liked what he was doing. His expressions, some of his body movement, and most of all his voice just left me to quickly think "yep. This was a really good casting choice. This guy is carrying on the role of Bones really well."  Secondly. despite what issues some fans might have, this film has a really good story. Because as a reboot, the story made this film both nostalgic for the loyal fans and at the same time be a great way to introduce the Star Trek universe for people who never seen it or really got into it. And I"m saying this because I've kind of been both crowds of people. I mean I already said that this film eventually got me into the franchise, but watching it again after all of the other stuff I've seen, it had a way of making it exciting for me to see some of the things from the original series again. I mean I'm not saying I've gotten so deep into Star Trek that I would in any way consider myself a Trekkie (the name for people who are devout Star Trek fans for anyone who doesn't know), but there were moments like when they first show the Enterprise that somehow made it a little exciting for me to see those things again. Oh, and the last good things are the action and just plain Leonard Nimoy.

And that's my review for Star Trek. Some of the changes may be an issue for some fans and the whole lens flare thing goes without saying again. But otherwise it had a very good cast, a well thought of story, and it performed almost perfectly in being both very nostalgic for the loyal fans and at the same time bring people who aren't familiar with Star Trek, get introduce to its universe.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment