Saturday, February 9, 2013

Unforgiven (1992)

Rating: 80%
Okay I know it's been a while since I've reviewed any more best picture winners, but there a couple more that I want to do before I start focusing more on school and other things, so here's the last winner from the 90's to review, Unforgiven.

Plot: A group of prostitutes offer a $1,000 reward for hunting down two cowboys named Quick Mike and Davey-Boy who disfigured one of their own, Delilah. Word of this reaches to a cowboy named The Schofield Kid who come to a pig farm to recruit a former bandit named Munny who is now a widower raising his children and has sworn off drinking. Munny refuses at first, but considering that his farm is failing, he decides to join and bring his former partner, Logan to come with them.

So this one is apparently a huge classic not just as a film in general but especially as a western and all that jazz. It's praised my critics, it obviously won best picture, and it's #4 on AFI's top western films. Do I find it as huge of a classic as everyone else? Eh...*gunshots firing right above H.A.K.* JUST HEAR ME OUT!!!! JUST HEAR ME OUT!!!! I'm not denying it's a good film. The acting is great, it has some really well done characters, it gave a really epic climax and...Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman...that's it. I mean what more is there to often say outside of the fact that it's Eastwood and Freeman? But some things didn't quite make it as a big of a deal for me. I mean while the plot got better in the climax, the fact that it started out as mostly another western about getting a certain bandit or something wasn't quite a big thing for me. And as great of a performance as Eastwood gave, the whole former bandit or killer thing now kind of getting dragged for one more job years later has been done before also even outside of westerns. And otherwise I would have to agree with Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert who found the movie to be too long and had too many superfluous characters. (btw, kind of off subject; I know that Delilah is played by a totally different actress, but is it me, or does she kind of look like Drew Barrymore in some certain angles?)

So that's basically my review for Unforgiven. I completely agree that it's a good movie. If you haven't seen it, I bet you'll enjoy it. It's just that while it would likely blow most of you away,  it has certain issues that make it good but not fantastic for me personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment