Saturday, February 9, 2013

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

Rating: 85%
Okay now this is the last best picture nominee that I'm able to review before the oscars. Cause I can't find nor have the time to try to see Silver Linings Playbook or Amour. So anyway, here's my review for Beats of the Southern Wild.

Plot: Hushpuppy is a little girl who lives in a Louisiana Bayou community called the bathtub with her sick and hot-tempered father, Wink. They generally live very simple lives, but when a storm hits  and everyone else leaves, Wink and Hushpuppy have to fend for themselves with some of their neighbors and try to survive from the wreckage.

...*shrugs* good movie. plain and simple. It had a good story, it was VERY well acting, and I mean very well done job with the kid that played Hushpuppy, it did have some emotional moments, interesting symbolism, some really nice cinematography, and it showed us what life can be like in places like the Louisiana Bayou. Frankly, what really fascinated me the most on top of all that is the fact that this is actually based on a one-act play called Juicy and Delicious. I know, right? I didn't expect it turn out to actually be based on a play either. But after seeing this film, it does leave me a little curious as to what the play is like compared to the film. Probably not quite as big, but still.

So that's basically my review for Beasts of the Southern Wild. It's a deep an emotional movie with great acting, interesting symbolism, good cinematography, and is just a really good film altogether. Will it win best picture? No. But it's still a powerful, my dad for one is particularly glad he saw it, it's just one films from 2012 that you mostly likely will really enjoy yourselves.   

No comments:

Post a Comment