Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Monsters University (2013)

Rating: 75%
Well last night the parents decided to see the latest Pixar film as a family. We all came with mediocre expectations, and this is how it turned out for most of us.

Plot: Before the events of the first film, Mike went to Monsters University with the dreams of becoming a scarer. He eventually meets Sully who is basically a jock for his ability to scare and so they become rivals over who is the better scarer. But when both of them fail their scare exam at the end of their first semester, they have to prove themselves by forming a team with a group of nobodies in the Scare Games and try to earn their right in the University's Scare program.

I'll be honest - and I mean brutally honest. When I went to see this movie, I had some low expectations to be anything higher then just mediocre. And when it comes to Pixar, when I say that, I mean that they were so low that I was just playing the My Little Pony mobile game on my iPhone most of the time that we were getting tickets and buying candy for the movie without a care. Not cool? I agree. But to be fair, when the best they have after Toy Story 3 so far is Cars 2 and Brave and their next film is a prequel to a movie like Monsters Inc., it is a little reasonable to have the expectations be fairly low. But as it turns out there was a little more of what makes Pixar, Pixar then what I and my family were going to give it credit for. Granted, the first hour or so into the movie was meeting my expectations with certain aspects of the story and some somewhat cute jokes here and there. But the last half hour - while still not perfect - gave an impressive amount of cleverness and creativity with its characters and where the story all around was going. There were twists, turns, and while there wasn't too much tension to what was happening seeing as this is a prequel to a movie everyone knows, the directions that they take still leave you curious on how it all ends with Sully and Mike working at Monsters Inc. And while it's still not at Pixar's complete best, it all comes pretty close and is altogether quite an improvement from the last two films. If the rest of the film was more like the third act, who knows how good this movie could've been? Another down is that there wasn't as many creative monsters as I expected. There was some, don't get me wrong - The Dean especially was awesome. But for the most part, there wasn't a whole lot of different, unique monsters to look at. Which is kinda disappointing because considering how the first movie showed us all of different monsters, it seemed a little obvious to me that they would at least try to continue to really give us a ton of monsters to enjoy watching.

And that's my review for Monsters University. Its first hour meet the mediocre expectation that I had anticipated, but the third act gave us different directions that were smart, creative and helped make this movie a very enjoyable movie and show that Pixar is more or less getting back on track on what makes them just a great and lovable animated studio. Was it a classic? No. Would I buy it on Blue-Ray? Unless I ever have kids later on in life, probably not. But is it still a good movie to watch? You bet.


No comments:

Post a Comment