Sunday, June 9, 2013

A View to a Kill (1985)

Rating: 30%
The last film with Roger Moore as Bond...whew. Here's my review for A View to a Kill...I feel I shouldn't be the only one who thinks that title sounds dumb.

Plot: After Bond recovers a microchip from the dead body of 003, M send him to investigate on Max Zorin who own the company that makes the chips that the one that was found is a copy of. Eventually Bond learns that Zorin is planning to destroy the Silicon Valley to gain a monopoly on the market with the help of a Nazi scientist. So with the help of a geologist named Stacey, it's up to Bond to find out how Zorin is going to destroy the valley and stop him.

Ugh, I'm not really sure how to begin with explaining what it wrong with this movie. I guess the one way to start is really how of all people to be the main villain in ANY Bond film, it turn out to be Christopher Walken. That...just doesn't fit to me at all. He wasn't very menacing or anything like that...well I guess he was when it came to what his evil plan is, but to me, all I saw was Christopher Walken and not really anything else. Anyway, the story wasn't all that exciting, and the action was hardly thrilling, and Moore...well...actually let me explain this in a way that basically summarizes the last 6 films as well as this one. Now when I say "whew" that this is the last film where he's Bond, it's not that I super hate the guy or something like that, it's just that it's more or less how Roger Ebert put it once: he was mostly an impersonator of James Bond. He did get better during The Spy Who Loved Me and sort of Moonraker, but on the whole his performances as well as his film were between decent to just bad and I felt that the only reason he  played Bond this long was because his films kept making a lot of money. And as I've brought up with my last two reviews, he is starting to get older and apparently audiences have started to officially notice that too seeing as he was 57 when making this film. Heck, even for him this was the least favorite of his film because he noticed how he was apparently even older then his female co-star's mother. The whole thing seemed to have left him horrified. And while it's not quite as painfully shown (at least not for me) this film did have a little slapstick during a car chase in San Fransisco.

And that's my review for A View to a Kill. It had an unexciting story, a villain played by Christopher Walken which just...doesn't work, and it generally showed how it was high time for Moore to give the role to somebody else. It's currently the worst Bond film I've seen so far, and I sincerely hope the last 9 are nothing like that. So next up we have Timothy Dalton to take Moore's place for the next two films. How does he compare? Tune in for when I review The Living Daylights.

No comments:

Post a Comment