Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Heat (2013)

So recently, Candra and I watched a couple more movies - one of which I hope to get to reviewing soon, but for now I"ll be focusing on the one that we just finished watching: The Heat.

Plot: FBI Special Sarah is a skilled and professional agent who is trying to get a promotion in her department, but she has to prove that she can work with other people. So she is sent to work on a case in Boston, but finds herself having to work with Shannon, a loudmouthed and rebellious cop. The two of them have to find a way to work together while trying to track down a drug lord.

At the end of the day, I found this movie to be fairly entertaining. I mean true, it was a little predictable considering it's a buddy cop comedy film, but for what they had, they pulled it off. What really makes this film is naturally, the chemistry between the lead actors; Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. For a lot of people, including Candra, McCarthy's performance as Shannon is what people like the most about the film. She does go completely out there with her performance, giving us the most inventive and memorable quotes of the entire movie. But for me personally, as I'm sure this might surprise some of you like it surprised Candra, I honestly found myself more entertained with Bullock's performance. Don't get me wrong, McCarthy was good and I see why people like her more. But for me, Bullock was the one that made me laugh the most. A lot of the stuff that she does in the second half of this movie especially, I thought was really funny. There's a scene where she has this kind of quiet outburst during a police meeting that especially made me laugh out loud to the point where it's my favorite part of the film. With that said however, there are some moments where the comedy does not work, especially where they take things too far. One scene in particular that has to do with a guy chocking on a pancake that both Candra and I felt should've been cut from the movie. And there are some serious moments int he films that mostly work, but I also felt there might've been a little too much of...at least from what I was expecting. But for the most part, those moments didn't happen all that frequently.

And that's my review for The Heat. It's really up to the person as to whether or not it's funny or if the serious moments work despite it being a comedy. But for me, it has its moments that I personally am not a fan of, but at the end of the day, this was an entertaining buddy cop movie that does deliver with its comedy all around. If you're not a fan of the style of comedy that this movie uses, then you should skip it. But if you like its style of comedy well enough, then check this movie out and see what you find to be funny.  

Rating: 70%

No comments:

Post a Comment