Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Hot Fuzz (2007)

Alright, I got my feelings about Tranformers: Age of Extinction out of the way, so let's get back to reviewing the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy (and Paul) with Hot Fuzz.

Plot: Nicholas Angel is a skilled and dedicated police officer who is transferred from London to a small quiet town called Sanford. He eventually befriends his new partner Danny who is the son of the Chief Inspector of the town, but things get uneasy when people are getting killed by co-claimed accidents. Angel believes that the accidents are actually murders, but no one believes him, so it's up to him and Danny to try to find out what is happening.

I think it's okay to say that if you couldn't enjoy Shaun of the Dead because of how it hit the horror genre pretty well, this movie should be more comfortable to watch. This time we have Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost take on the buddy cop genre which gives us a more likable movie. Now when I say that, I'm not going back on the praises I gave Shaun of the Dead, I want to make that clear. But I also understand if people who aren't into horror films can't get into the movie even with it's comedy that helps balance things out. Now with this movie, we are tackling the genre of buddy cob movies, which is more inviting to the general audience and gives us a more fun experience. And that's pretty much what this movie gives. The characters are very likable - Pegg and Frost give us more great performances as Angel and Danny - the story gets more and more exciting as it progresses, and when we get the actions, it's a whole bunch of fun to watch. As for the comedy, I think Doug Walker probably says it best how there's so many jokes that there's a lot that you don't get the first or second or third time around. While I don't exactly notice a new joke every time I watch this movie, there are a couple that I easily did not notice the first time I watched it. Heck, when I was watching this movie so I could review it, I noticed how this classic joke in the big reveal is quietly put in a lot of times long before there was even the first death. And just like Shaun of the Dead, a lot of the jokes are very memorable and they are very well acted by the cast. I won't give away the big reveal, but let's just say that not only does it give us a lot of jokes, but it also makes the premise very unique and helps make the big climax all the more fun. If there was anything that I would imagine would still make people uneasy about watching this movie, it would be that some of the deaths along with how one of the antagonists is defeated are done rather gruesome. But other than that, there really isn't a whole lot to disturb you with like with Shaun of the Dead.


And that's my review for Hot Fuzz. It's a brilliant take on the buddy cop genre with great humor, fun action, memorable characters, and a unique story that makes Hot Fuzz a fun, funny, clever, exciting and action packed movie to easily enjoy. If having any problems with the brief particularly gruesome moments are all that I can think of that would be wrong with this movie, than all I can say is that if you have not seen this movie, I recommend it.

Rating: 100% 

No comments:

Post a Comment