Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Keith (2008)

Another review I want to quickly get done before going back to the stuff Blaine showed me that Candra found on Netflix and recommended me seeing: an independent film called Keith. 

Plot: Natalie is a popular 17 year old high schooler who thinks that she has he life figured out. She's planning to go to Duke University with a Tennis scholarship, she's doing stuff like yearbook, and has recently started dating a new transfer student named Rafael. But then she is partnered in chemistry with an odd, carefree boy named Keith who has a sort of rebellious and somewhat random view of life. She finds him annoying at first, but eventually starts to fall in love with him. So she starts trying to balance her life while both dating Rafael and hanging out with Keith while also trying to know more about him.

This movie really turned out to be a lot better then I really thought it was going to be. Not that I thought it was going to be bad or anything, but it had a more compelling story and especially a more impressive performance from Jessie McCartney then I honestly thought it was going to be. I mean granted, I don't really know much about him about him besides his song "Beautiful Soul" and his voice acting work in most of the Kingdom Hearts games. But just about from beginning to end, I just couldn't see him as Jesse McCartney. Despite my best efforts to do so, McCartney gives us this unique, random, deep and complex character that easily made me more interested in him than trying to see him as just the pop signer. And he does as excellent job in giving us this characters and I was just plain impressed at the end of the day. But that doesn't mean the stuff from the movie wasn't interesting too. Elizabeth Harnois also gives a very deep performance as Natalie as she does display very well how she's trying to juggle everything that is happening to her life whether it has to do with Keith or not. And the story does come out pretty simple at first, but later on, without giving anything away, it becomes much more deeper with its heavier themes that make it more interesting. If there is one big problem with the film that Candra and I agree on, it would be that the film does drag. There are some scenes that possibly weren't really needed, and it does take an awfully long time before we start to find out more about Keith and who he really is, and even when we do, there will be something else about him that we don't know yet that also takes a while.

And that's my review for Keith, it does drag when it comes to things like knowing more about who Keith really is, but the film still turns out to be a rather enjoyable film with a good story, and an impressive performance from Jessie McCartney. If you haven't seen this movie, I say it's worth taking a look at.

Rating: 75% 

No comments:

Post a Comment