Monday, May 12, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

I saw this movie a couple weeks back, but I've been a little too busy lately to get to reviewing it. But I'm home now, where it has snowed (yes, it's the middle of May, but that's Colorado weather for you sometimes), and now I shall finally review my one non-blockbuster anticipated movie, The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Plot: The film centers around a story told by a writer known only as The Author, who has dinner with the Grand Budapest Hotel's now owner, Zero. Zero tells a story of when he began to work as a lobby boy in the Hotel back when it was owned by Monsieur Gustave. When Gustave learns of the death of an aging blond woman that he courted, he comes to her wake, taking Zero with him. During the reading of her will, he and her family learns that she bequeathed him a valuable painting called Boy with Apple. This particularly infuriates the woman's son, Dmitri who also wanted the painting. Gustave and Zero come back to the Grand Budapest Hotel, taking Boy with Apple with them, but then the police arrest Gustave, believing that he actually murdered the woman.

When I saw a trailer to this movie a few months back, I was hooked to see it. And you know what? It didn't disappoint. The story was good, the color, cinematography and editing where stylish, and best of all, it was an amazing cast. One of the things that made me want to see this film was the cast because it was huge. Ralph Fiennes, Adrien Brody, William Dafoe, Edward Norton, Jude Law, F. Murray Abraham, Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson, Own Wilson, heck even Jeff Goldblum. I honestly never thought I'd go to the movies and see Jeff Goldblum on the silver screen at this day and age. But everyone did a fantastic job. Ralph Fiennes was fun to watch as Gustave, I liked all the scenes that had William Dafoe in them, and the young actor who plays young Zero, Tony Revolori proved to be a pretty good actor, and all of his scenes with Ralph Fiennes were great. And the comedy was very well timed and had some very laughable moments, even if some jokes might've been a tad too dark at times - at least judging by how my mom, who saw the movie with me, reacted to them. There's a scene where a gun fight starts during the second half especially which - without telling you when exactly it happens or how it starts - made me harder and harder the longer and bigger it went.

And that's my review for The Grand Budapest Hotel. It's a fun, stylish comedy with a good story, cinematography and editing, well delivered jokes and an amazing cast. If you haven't seen it, I'd definitely say give it's worth taking a look. 
 Rating: 90%  

No comments:

Post a Comment