Thursday, May 29, 2014

Rat Race (2001)

Well a couple of weeks ago, Candra wanted to show me this film and so we decided to see it together after I came home from work. So this is pretty much how it turned out.

Plot: A group of people win six special tokens in a hotel in Las Vegas, that leads them to meet the hotel's eccentric owner Sinclair. Sinclair tells them that there is a duffel bag with $2 million dollars in it in a train station locker in Silver City, New Mexico. Each team of people are given a key to open the locker and claim the money. So the race is on in trying to get the $2 million dollars first, with none of the contestants knowing that Sinclair is using the race as a way to entertain the high rollers visiting his hotel.

I will start off my saying one thing I got from seeing this movie with Candra. It made me laugh. Why would I just start off this review by saying that? Because the matter of will I or wont I laugh was basically my main train of thought as Candra and I were getting ready to watch the movie. I don't laugh very often - even from things that are particularly funny to me like How I Met Your Mother or The Nostalgia Critic - and it's even harder to laugh at a movie where it's specific genre is comedy and therefore, they expect me to laugh when I see it. So when I started watching the movie, I was concerned that I wouldn't laugh at all as much as I would want to seeing as it's a comedy and so it expects me to laugh. But thankfully, it did make me laugh. Not regularly, or so much that I would be on the floor, but I still laughed, and I'm glad I did. So I guess this is my long way of saying that this film does hold up well as a comedy. It has very likable characters, some of the dialogue is a little clever, and a lot of the scenes during the race where just fun to watch. My personal favorite scenes where the helicopter chase, and some of the scenes from either the brothers or the family. There are moments where the comedy goes a little too far for me or appears tasteless, such as some of the scenes with the cow or the scene where the family was in that World War II veterans meeting. But those moments where very few, so they didn't bother me very much. The casting is also very enjoyable with having a lot of familiar faces such as Whoopi Goldberg, Seth Green, Cuba Gooding Jr., Rowan Atkinson, and my personal favorites from the film, John Cleese and surprisingly Kathy Bates. If I have to pick one particular problem I have with the film, it would be the ending. Now let me make it clear, it's not that what the characters do in the end isn't good. Far from it. It's just that as nice as it is, it's a very...off kind of ending for the film. There was no build up to it, part of it didn't make sense, and it just generally went against where the plot was going.

And that's my review for Rat Race. It has it's problems with the endings and some of its jokes, but it still had likable characters, fun scenes, and comedy that made it an enjoyable film for me. Is it the greatest comedy I've ever seen? No. But it still is funny, and for what I was wondering about coming into this movie, I am thankful that I found it that way.  

Rating: 70%  

No comments:

Post a Comment