Friday, November 15, 2013

This Is the End (2013)

Rating: 60%
Okay so I recently went to my friend Blaine's house to see the extended edition of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (which I definitely want for Christmas now), and after words he showed me a couple more films. So here's my review of the first movie he showed me, This Is the End.

Plot: The apocalypse has happened and so James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Craig Robinson and Jonah Hill are all stuck in James Franco's house trying to survive. That's pretty much it.

Some people are probably not going to like what I'm going to say...but this was just meh for me. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad. Because it does have a brilliant concept of actors playing fictional versions of themselves and pulling a few jokes about themselves as they encounter the apocalypse. And when they are making all these jokes about themselves and what they're experiencing in this post apocalyptic world, it is funny. On top of that, it's just great to see a lot of celebrities we know. I mean you do have the ones that are the main characters like James Franco and Jonah Hill, but then there's a couple more that I kind of wished we saw a little more of like Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Mindy Kaling and ESPECIALLY Emma Watson who was awesome during the short time that she was in the movie. Heck, even The Backstreet Boys made an appearance, and that was pretty fun with how they played that out. But when it came down to the comedy as a whole, I found the ones that had to do with making fun of the actors very lacking. In fact, I felt that very few of them were used, let alone made some particularly funny references like James Franco being The Green Goblin or Jonah Hill starring in Moneyball. While we did get these jokes sometimes, the rest of the comedy seemed to contain more sexual jokes, namely penis jokes. From practically every actor talking about their own penis or each other's penises, to even a giant demon showing his junk in plain view without a care, this movie was throwing penis joke after penis joke throughout an awful lot of its dialogue. I do not care for those kinds of jokes to begin with, but I've heard other people review it and confirm that they did way to much of it. And while the story itself was good, it did have moment of predictability at times, especially when it came to part of the friendship between Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel.

And that's my review for This Is the End. It didn't really go the distance with its concept in my opinion and had more jokes on penises then ones that actually had to do with the actors. But at the end of the day, it still had some decent jokes and played out the premise well enough that I'm glad that I eventually saw it...but don't really plan on watching it again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment