Monday, November 4, 2013

Poltergeist (1982)

Rating: 70%
When it came to figuring out what horror movie to watch for my Editing Asthetics class, both the teacher and my fellow classmates couldn't think of a good one to watch that does actually scare people. In fact, I eventually had to text my brother, Tommy who is very knowledgeable in horror films, to give us some films that were actually scary that we could watch. He gave us almost a dozen good films, but the one that the teacher decided was the best one to look at, was Poltergeist. So considering that I have never seen the movie until the day we saw it as a class, here's what I think of Poltergeist.

Plot: Steven and his family live in a nice, quite community where he's a real estate developer. But things start to become uneasy for him and his family when strange things start to happen in their house from his young daughter Carol Ann claiming that she's heading people inside the TV to these mysterious storms that start to really concern both of his younger kids. So he and his wife find a group of Parapsychologists to try to find out what is happening to their house.

I'm sure there's a fair amount of film geeks who are wondering why I gave this movie a 70% despite it being a classic horror movie. Well to put it bluntly, this movie was spoiled for me long before I even touched the DVD. The film is so commonly known that I kind of already have the main gist of what happens just from what I saw from TV shows that referenced/parodied the movie in some ways or another such as South Park and especially Family Guy. Even if I didn't know every single thing about the movie from top to bottom before we saw it, I still knew enough that a lot of what the main plot points were. And on top of that...my teacher would tell us whether or not a certain scene was suppose to be scary or if something is going to actually happen. So even if I didn't already know those certain big plot points, I still didn't have much of a scare from this film thanks to him. But I still think it's a good film because even if I didn't get scared, somewhat similar to what I found when we watched Duel, I clearly saw why people would be scared and what other aspects of the film made it so memorable: that being the film as a whole was structured very well when it came to building up the suspense while also getting us to know our main characters, which helped us become invested in them as these mysterious things where happening to them. And most of the times where something really scary did happen, they did play it out very well in a way that makes it very scary. And they're doing all of this without a whole lot of blood and gore that we see in a lot of horror films today. They did have one particularly gory scene that was a little creepy, but other then that, it was more the emotion they created in the scary parts and the timing they used to play it out that makes it intimidating. Plus it does have that classic line "They're here" and has some memorable acting moments, particularly from Zelda Rubinstein as the spiritual medium Tangina Barrons.

And that's my review for Poltergeist. I am unable to truly think highly of it considering how it's been spoiled for me for all the reasons I mentioned, but that thankfully hasn't stopped me from seeing why it's considered to be a very good horror film to the point where it's ranked as a complete classic. I don't plan on ever really seeing it again considering how my experience was ruined on top of the fact that I'm hardly much of a horror guy like Tommy anyway. But if you haven't seen it and don't really know what happens, I'd say go see it and may you get a much grander experience then I did in getting scared from this particular movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment