Wednesday, November 9, 2016

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)



Plot: Andie is a writer who works for a magazine called Composure as the "How to..." girl. After her friend Michelle breaks down from a break-up, Andie gets the idea to write an article of how to lose a guy in ten days which she will demonstrate by dating a guy and drive him away by "only using the classic mistakes women make". At the same time, an advertising executive named Benjamin is striving for a pitch to advertise diamonds. When his boss and his rival co-workers question whether or not he understands the concept of love, he makes a claim that he can any woman fall in love with him. So they bet that if he can make any woman fall in love with him before the upcoming company ball, in just 10 days, he can head the advertising for the new diamond company. Thus Andie and Benjamin meet and choose one another for their mutual assignments, with neither knowing about each other's secret agenda; Andie doing everything she can to get Benjamin to dump her while Benjamin does everything he can to keep them together. 


So couple of days ago my friend Candra watched this and told me that it was cheesy but good. I got a little curious and decided to take a look for myself, and it certainly is cheesy, but I wouldn't go so far as calling it all around good.

So what is good about it? Well long story short, the main cast. Both Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey are what drives this movie. The characters are kind of cut board characters, but they still manage to bring their own spin on them. When it's all said and done, the chemistry between them is believable. Everytime I see them hanging out together or working on their devious plans against each other I look at two smart people who could end up in serious relationship that was what they were trying to do. I think the best moments are when they are coming up with these plans against each other. I don't know why, but it's kind of amusing to see how Kate Hudson is so excited do all these devious things against Matthew McConaughey. And in the end it totally fits up to it I can start to form a connection.

But as I said, the film is cheesy. While I wouldn't say it's one of the worst chick flicks I've ever seen, it does have this presence around it that makes it distinctly early 2000's cheese. Every single beat in developing the relationship between Andie and Benjamin you have seen many times before, the music it's forgettable, and apart from one or two jokes that made me chuckle a little (though even then I don't even remember what they were), the comedy is dull. It also has scenes that - at least for me, are a little hard to watch. Kate Hudson as a whole is enjoyable, but when she acts too needy and clingy towards McConaughey, it's a little over the top.

Honestly, the funny thing about the story to be is the idea of a story about writing an article about the mistakes women can make when dating a guy is not entirely a bad concept. I guess to me as a guy, this could have been a movie that goes deeper into the problems and challenges of dating - somewhat similar to He's Just Not That Into You. I think the story could have been a little bit stronger if that was what they were really going for. But as it is, it's more about the execution of both Andie and Benjamin's plans against each other and while it is amusing at some points, it still come out as predictable and corny.

And that's my review for How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. I like the chemistry between the two leads and occasionally their plotting against each other works, but it still is met with a half interesting premise and a predictable script. If you're just looking for a chick flick to watch or just want to see Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey together in a rom com, this isn't the worst chick flick to see. But if you're looking for a rom com that is more interesting and original, I'd give this one a pass.

Rating: 45%

1 comment:


  1. What a great forum. A couple of years ago I was in a dark period in my life, the man I love to bits had gone off with someone else, that was when I was told about this spell caster.  Well he told me he could see that we would get back together that gave me hope, and he was right, because this week we have moved in with each other and are so happy.  A big thank you to Dr.Obodo.  If you are in need of an angel please get in touch with Dr.obodo at
    E-mail: templeofanswer@hotmail.co.uk
    Cell: 2348155425481.

    ReplyDelete