Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Underworld (1928)

Plot: Gangster turned kingpin, 'Bull' Weed rehabilitates alcoholic lawyer, Rolls Royce as a reward for promising not to squeal when Royce witnesses him robbing a bank. The two become confidants with Royce as the brains for Weed's schemes. They begin to work together against a rival gangster who tries to muscle on Weed's territory. But during the process, Royce begins to fall in love with Weed's girlfriend, Feathers.

According to my history of film professor, this was the first full fledged gangster film. And it really is an enjoyable film. The story was investing, in that you likely have heard the general story before, but they execute it so well that you still want to see what happens. At least I know I sure did. The last third got me guessing as to who will or won't make it. The actors gave great performances - just their facial expressions in the many close-ups that where used really helped the characters stand out. I think I liked the facial expressions of Royce the best. There's just something about that frown he gives that shows everything that he may or may not be feeling with this one expression.

And that's my review for Underworld. It's tense, it's well acted, its story you may have seen before, but it can still glue you in, it's a great silent film.

Rating: 95%

No comments:

Post a Comment