Sunday, April 12, 2015

Muppets Most Wanted (2014)

This is a review I've been holding off for a while because of a few things, but now there's little reason to hold it off any longer, so here at last is my review for Muppets Most Wanted.

Plot: Taking off exactly after the very end of the last movie, The Muppets are trying to figure out what to do next. Then a guy named Dominic Badguy suggest that they go on a European tour with him as their tour manager. Meanwhile, a criminal mastermind named Constantine, who looks almost exactly like Kermit, escapes from escapes from a Siberian Gulag and tricks the police into believing that Kermit is Constantine. So Kermit is imprisoned in the Gulag that Constantine was imprisoned in, and tries to find a way out. Meanwhile, Constantine takes Kermit's place while he and Dominic use the Muppet's tour to steal valuable items all over Europe.

I think my brother Tommy put it best about this film; the last one was cute and clever, while this is just cute. Now when I say that I agree with that, I don't mean that there's absolutely nothing clever about this movie, it's just not as clever as the last one. But that being said, it's still a fun film. You get to see your favorite characters, you watch a lot of guest stars, and there are some funny jokes. Most of what makes this film funny is taking advantage of the fact that is is a sequel and it's aware of the problems that go with it from some characters not getting enough attention, to the fact that it's not going to be as good. The other jokes aren't quite as funny, but they are good enough that you will get a good chuckle out of them once in a while. The musical numbers are fun to listen to, but it really is the first song We're Doing a Sequel that stands out the most because of its not only funny, but really catchy. Heck, it's getting stuck in my head just typing about it. If there's one thing that probably bugs me the most about the film is how little attention we get of some of the cameos outside of Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell and Tina Fey. I mean those three are enjoyable, and I think I would agree with Tommy in saying that Tina Fey is having fun with her role. But there's some cameos like Christoph Waltz that I wish had much more attention on. This is really a nitpick at the end of the day, but it still bugs me the most about the film. 

And that's my review for Muppets Most Wanted. It's not as clever as the last film, but it's still a fun film with its cute comedy and lovable characters. If you like the Muppets, you'll have a nice time seeing their latest film.
Rating:70%

No comments:

Post a Comment