Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Mary Poppins (1964)

Rating: 100%
Alright, thanks to Saving Mr. Banks, I have borrowed Meg's copy of Mary Poppins, so here's my own review for this film.

Plot: Jane and Michael Banks are two children who keep running away and cause their parents to keep losing a nanny to take care of them. Eventually, while looking for a new maid, their father, Mr. Banks finds himself hiring Mary Poppins who turns out to be a magical nanny that is everything the children wanted in a nanny and then some. This leads the children to many magical experiences with Mary Poppins along with her friend Bert and many other people.

Okay everyone get ready to hate me. No seriously, get ready to hate every inch of my existence for what unholy thing I'm about to confess. *The audience does nothing* Okay very well, here it is: when I was growing up... I did not give a flying feather about Mary Poppins. *The audience starts taking out guns and firing at H.A.K. who barely manages to not get hit* THAT DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T LIKE IT NOW!!!! *The audience continues to fire* I DIDN'T KNOW BETTER!!! *The audience keep trying to gun him down* WILL YOU JUST STOP SHOOTING AT ME AND LET ME EXPLAIN ALREADY!?!?!?!?! * The audience begins to stop shooting and begins to wait patiently* THANK YOU!!!!! Okay so here's the thing about that statement; it's not that I thought it was horrible or in any way bad. Far from it. It's just that growing up, I didn't really care for anything that wasn't animation. Once in a while I would start to like something that was live-action, but it was often something that had more fantasy, action and adventure to it like Hook or the Star Wars films. So whenever my mother popped in Mary Poppins, I would enjoy at least the animated they had a third into the movie, but everything else left me dying for it to end and for mom to get on with putting in Winnie the Pooh or A Goofy Movie. However, that doesn't mean I felt that way my whole life growing up. As I got older, I began to steadily feel more comfortable watching it whether there was animation or not. And as I said on my review for Saving Mr. Banks, the things that they were talking about when Disney was trying to create the film helped me understand it more. But first, let's get on with what's talking about what makes this movie so good that even I have come to give it a good score. Well one obvious reason that instantly comes to mind is that it's creative. The world of Mary Poppins is very colorful but also very mysterious with how magical it can be. From jumping into the world of a chalk drawing to floating around from laughter, we are gives all these magical things that you don't even question how it works in any way. You don't question why it matters what you have to do to jump into the world of a chalk drawing or why laughing so hard will make you begin to float, it's just there and you having fun with what you have. And of coarse, Mary Poppins herself is very creative but mysterious. She can sometimes be having a lot of fun, but most of the time she will also be strict and even act like some of the magical stuff never happened. Julie Andrews obviously played Mary Poppins and she brings her to life without fail, resulting in her well deserved Oscar for her work.  You also have Dick Van Dyke as Bert and while I can see how some people would have a problem with his accent, he still is a very likable character.  He just had so much fun being so happy about everything and you just have to enjoy all the energy and all of the kind of dances and other physical movements he keeps making throughout the entire film. He even played Mr. Dawes of the bank, and he did a great job playing the character very differently. Granted, some movements or ways he talked may have made it a little too clear that it's the same guy, but the whole he still did an excellent job being a completely different character. The rest of the cast did very well like the children, and the maids, and of coarse the parents. And do I even need to bother talking about the songs? Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, A Spoon Full of Sugar, Chim Chim Cher-ee, Step in Time, so many of these songs are just fun, catchy, and will likely always be remembered even in the deepest parts of your brain. But watching it again now that I'm older, I also really like what it was doing around the second half of the film. Without spoiling anything for the very few who have never seen the film, it's very smart with how deep and serious they get when reflecting about things like life and how Mr. Banks has done with his life. Doug Walker has already reviewed this movie a couple weeks back, and he's already talked about how powerful one of the last scenes was, and I've begun to see it too. It did get very emotional with what was happening and the cinematography and especially the musical score really captured it.

And that's my review for Mary Poppins. I realize now how it really is a great film and why people will find it nothing short of timeless. It's fun, creative, mysterious, filled with so many songs you'll never forget, but will also have it's deep and serious side to it that's done very well. I may have never experienced it the way so many people have during their childhood, but I think we can all be happy that I now understand and agree with what makes it loved by many people now and probably will still be loved so much in the future. Wouldn't you agree? Audience Member #1: His childhood is still ruined! Audience Member #2: Kill him! Kill him! Put him out of his misery! *The audience start firing at H.A.K. all over again* H.A.K.: OH FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment